Little Rock Child Support Lawyers

Working with Individuals Involved in Child Support Disputes in and around Little Rock, Arkansas

Under Arkansas law, parents have a legal obligation to provide financial support to their children. As a result, courts have the power to order noncustodial parents to make regular child support payments to their child’s custodial parent, under certain circumstances. Child support can be ordered when parents decide to get separate, file for divorce, or in cases in which the parents were never married.

Child support disputes can be extremely acrimonious and complicated and anyone involved in one should retain an attorney as soon as possible. At Destiny Law, we have the skill and experience needed to represent your interests and ensure that your child support case is resolved as favorably as possible. To discuss your case with an attorney, call our office today.

Arkansas Child Support Determinations

In Arkansas, child support is calculated according to guidelines that are set out in an order issued by the Arkansas Supreme Court known as Administrative Order Number 10. That order incorporates charts that set child support on a weekly and monthly basis based on the amount of the noncustodial parent’s income.

There is a rebuttable presumption that the amount of child support that a court should award is the amount that is shown on the most recent version of the Family Support Chart available. Judges are free to grant more or less support if there evidence that an exception exists under Administrative Order 10. The chart that will be used in a particular case depends on how often the payor party is paid.

In determining the noncustodial parent’s income, the court will look at pay stubs and also deduct certain expenses from his or her gross pay. These expenses include the following:

  • Support payments for other dependents that have been ordered by a court
  • Medical insurance payments for children
  • Social security, Medicare, and railroad retirement withholdings
  • Federal and state income tax
family law faq

Modifying an Existing Child Support Order

Under Arkansas law, a parent may petition the court to change an existing child support order if there has been a change in the paying parent’s gross income of 20 percent or more than $100 per month. While this may seem straightforward, in cases where parents have variable sources of income such as closely-held businesses or investment portfolios a thorough analysis may be necessary in order to determine whether a child support modification can be modified.

Contact a Little Rock Child Support Lawyer

Disputes regarding child support can be complicated. At Destiny Law, we work with parties who are seeking a child support award, those who are opposed to paying it, and individuals who are seeking a modification to an existing award. To schedule a case evaluation with one of our Little Rock child support attorneys, contact us at 501-372-1200.